When I’m sick my body can never decide what temperature it is. Crazy hot?! Take off sweatshirt. Now freezing. Go under a blanket. Nope burning hot again, but just my left ankle.
Since it’s funding formula time in RI again, here’s a list of things I’d change, in no particular order.
- Use AEWAV for state share of pension costs.
- Increase state aid significantly that goes through the formula— say at least 25% over 5 years.
- Lower base and add weights for home language (ELL proxy not determined by school staff) or “ever ELL” (ELL, but count a student who was ever and ELL and not just current).
- Fully fund high cost SPED circuit breaker. Add a weight for high service percent per day SPED students, probably somewhere around 50% in service.
- Double pay about 5% on charters (districts hold back 5% of total per pupil, state kicks that in extra for charters). Require districts offer underutilized space to charters with something like right of first refusal to try and reduce overall systems capital costs. Districts should risk forfeiting 5% if fail to offer space to charters.
- Consider state wide minimum property/land tax to raise more money to go through the formula, reducing incentive/ability for high wealth districts to raise so much from local taxes the overall distribution of spending becomes highly regressive.
I’ve always felt like I slept poorly in hotel rooms. Using AutoSleep the past three months, I’ve seen a clear pattern of 5-7 bpm higher heat rate during sleep when not at home, with a more pronounced pattern when changing time zones. Wonder if that pattern will hold up.
Things that surprised me this decade: I have achieved ownership and autonomy over my work and I’m so proud of it, and I’ve traveled way more for work and way less for fun than i thought I would.
Also, people have too much capacity for cruelty, and too little for empathy.
Find your product breaks when shipped? Just disguise it as a different, fragile product and get better treatment.
See also: get harrassed everytime you say something on the internet? You’re probably a woman, just pretend to be a man to be treated with respect.
How do I know the seasons are changing? Elsa just came in the bedroom to get a foot warmer out of our closet. To use. Inside our house. Because I don’t turn on the heat.1
- 67 is fine during the day. 65 is fine at night. [return]
I almost felt normal, but the feeling would pass as soon as someone new would ask me my name. My answer was never the truth.
So does this post mean it’s time for me to build that Linux box I’ve been thinking about?
This episode of Decoder Ring discusses gender reveal parties. It’s fabulous and human. overcast.fm
I’m not sure what caused me to be radicalized into someone who advocates for safe streets, great public transit, walkable neighborhoods, and good urbanism in general. Cities always felt like they were functionally and aesthtically superior.
Ok, Spotify. I get it. You know me.
You’d be right if you accused me of having a bit of a mean streak. I have always struggled to slow down my brain, to think before I speak, to consider, accurately, how my words and actions would impact others.
But I can also love deeply and fiercely. That counts too.
Seems like the perfect soundtrack for this dreary, rainy Baltimore morning.
Alternative interpretation: growing inequality in our society post-recession has impacted academic outcomes (and will impact economic, health, social, and other outcomes as well for decades).
When I was younger, my grandma always made sure to take me to Simchas Torah services. It was one of the most fun things we did all year. I miss her.
My fingers feel so good after a weekend away typing on my Ergodox.
Lately I find myself in bed at night feeling grateful, not stressed. That’s relatively new for me, and I’m not sure I’m well-equipped to express this without being awkward as hell. Gonna meditate that a bit on this Yom Kippur.
A small urban farm found in an alleyway.
Martinez after a long week.
This is a wonderful article that may as well be renamed, “How Jason Became a Public Transit Advocate”.
Surest sign that autumn is here.